Japan Program Coordinator
Department: International Programs
Reports To: Director of International Programs
Status: Full-time, Salaried, International
The responsibilities of this role include (but are not limited to) residing in Japan and collaborating with local partners to serve and share the gospel with people in the communities surrounding the Lutheran churches in Japan, and to engage, grow, and pray for a network of personal ministry supporters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach English to people in the community either through schools, private lessons, or any church or community platform.
- Point people to Christ through word and action.
- Collaboratively work with local Lutheran church members to plan and execute outreach ministry in their communities.
- Work and collaborate with fellow mission workers in Japan, including building new and innovative programs.
- Ensure evangelism relationships are handed off to local church members to ensure local sustainability of the evangelism efforts.
- Create bonds and friendships with community members through sports, music, hobbies, or other activities.
- Regularly attend local worship services and Bible studies.
- Write and deliver ministry story pieces from Japan to the Kingdom Workers marketing team.
- Represent Kingdom Workers positively to all constituents upon request (presentations, congregation visits, community groups).
- Conduct all activities so as to engender good public relations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Kingdom Workers Director of International Programs.
Ministry Partner Development (MPD)
- Build and maintain a community of supporters who embrace your work, are engaged in outcomes, and support your success through their prayers and donations.
- Attend training and work with the MPD Coordinator to learn how generate and maintain financial support for your mission.
- Raise $50,000 in support annually.
- Regularly update your support network with brand approved materials.
Please read this study to learn more about the concept of Ministry Partner Development.
Oversee, direct, and care for any visiting Kingdom Workers volunteers.
Education, Experience, and Characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree in education or Bachelor’s degree in another discipline in combination with a TEFL Certificate.
- Experience in cross-cultural work or ministry environment.
- Valid US Passport.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Must be a member in good standing of a church officially associated with the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference.
- Ability to speak Japanese or willing to learn the language.
- Must possess English teaching ability.
- Must possess a demonstrated and natural disposition for cross-cultural relationship building and witnessing.
- Friendly demeanor and able to speak comfortably with new people.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and kindly, listens attentively, responds informatively to questions.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and concisely and presents information and associated narratives effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills & proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to effectively use email, text, and other computer- and smartphone-based communication tools.
- A true passion for reaching the lost and a commitment to outreach, good stewardship, and creating a work environment that fosters open and honest two-way communication.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Ability to travel by road, air or other means as may be needed to conduct work in Japan.
- Frequently requires daily walking on pavement and concrete.
- Use of public transportation are required.
- Ability to happily spend time and work in conditions/areas of the world that may occasionally be deemed primitive.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Frequently required to walk, sit and stand.
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Continually required to talk and hear.
- Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions.
- Occasional exposure to blood borne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials.
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.
If you have any questions, please contact Jon Boche at firstname.lastname@example.org.