Japan Mission Worker
Department: Kingdom Workers Programs
Reports To: Senior Director of Programs
Status: N/A (exempt from FLSA compliance due to international position)
The responsibilities of this role include (but are not limited to) residing in Japan and collaborating with local partners to serve and share the gospel with people in the communities surrounding the Lutheran churches in Japan, and to engage, grow, and pray for a network of personal ministry supporters.
Please read this study to learn more about the concept of Ministry Partner Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Senior Director of Programs to perform an assessment to identify the most outstanding needs of the community.
- Teach English to people in the community either through schools, private lessons, or any church or community platform.
- Be prepared to teach and work with children who have special needs and grow the program to support families of children with special needs.
- Point people to Christ through word and action.
- Collaboratively work with local Lutheran church members to plan and execute outreach ministry in their communities.
- Work and collaborate with fellow mission workers in Japan, including building new and innovative programs.
- Ensure evangelism relationships are handed off to local church members to ensure local sustainability of the evangelism efforts.
- Create bonds and friendships with community members through sports, music, hobbies, or other activities.
- Regularly attend local worship services and Bible studies.
- Regularly communicate with your personal support network, including them personally through sharing and prayer in the ministry in Japan.
- Recognize and pursue opportunities to bring new people into your personal support network.
- Work with Ministry Partner Development staff to monitor gifts to the ministry and communicate with the Ministry Partner Development.
- Write and deliver ministry story pieces from Japan to the Brand and Creative Department.
- Represent Kingdom Workers positively to all constituents upon request (presentations, congregation visits, community groups).
- Conduct all activities so as to engender good public relations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Oversee, direct, and care for any visiting Kingdom Workers volunteers.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in education, or Bachelor’s degree in another discipline in combination with a TEFL Certificate is not required but highly recommended.
- Willingness to work with and teach children with special needs
- Experience in cross-cultural work or ministry environment.
- Valid US Passport.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Must be a member in good standing of a church officially associated with the Confessional Evangelical Lutheran Conference.
- Ability to speak Japanese or willing to learn the language.
- Must possess English teaching ability demonstrated through a degree.
- Must possess a demonstrated and natural disposition for cross-cultural relationship building and witnessing.
- Friendly demeanor, and able to speak comfortably with new people.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and kindly; Listens attentively; Responds informatively to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and concisely; Presents information and associated narratives effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills & proven ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to effectively use email, text, and other computer and smartphone based communication tools.
- A true passion for reaching the lost, a commitment to outreach, good stewardship, and creating a work environment that fosters open and honest two-way communication.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Ability to travel by road, air or other means as may be needed to conduct work in Japan.
- Frequently requires daily walking on pavement and concrete.
- Use of public transportation are required.
- Ability to happily spend time and work in conditions/areas of the world that may occasionally be deemed primitive.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Frequently required to walk, sit and stand.
- Frequently required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Continually required to talk and hear.
- Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions.
- Occasional exposure to blood borne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials.
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of the position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position.